jueves, 19 de febrero de 2015

IDIOMS




ANIMAL IDIOMS



IDIOM:            

copy cat

 DEFINITION
a person who does the same thing as someone else

 EXAMPLE :

  My sister is such a copy cat. First she bought    the     same car as me, and now she's applying to my school.










Fishy  
   

                   Odd,   suspicious                    I knew something fishy was going on when saw
                                                                 all of   my friends' cars in my mom's driveway.



get the lion's share
    get the greatest percentage
      My aunt got the lion's share of the inheritance.



kill two birds with    one stone
    get two things         done at once       
                    If you pick the groceries up when you drop George off for his shift, you will kill two birds with one stone.
   


to pig out 
            eat a lot of                    something  
   
    I pigged out on pancakes so I don't have room for lunch.

raining cats and dogs       
raining heavily                           


I forgot my umbrella, and it was raining cats and dogs.





smell a         rat
            to       begin            suspect trickery etc...
                          I asked my brothers not to tell my parents  that                   I       went    out,    but I could smell a rat as soon as I opened the door.




take the bull            by      the horns
face a challenge or            danger   boldly                
If you really think you deserve a promotion, you'll have to take the bull by the horns.




until the cows come    home


for a very long                     time


I could eat pizza and ice-cream until the cows come home.


     
 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario